Recipe tips and ideas:
Kids love being able to pick their food up with their hands, try these bite size recipes:
- 1/2 cup (85g) quinoa
- 1 cup (250ml) stock
- 500g chicken tenderloins
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced) and line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Place quinoa and stock into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before fluffing up with a fork and allowing to cool.
- Cut chicken into 2cm cubes.
- Combine flour and onion powder together in a bag, add popcorn chicken and shake to cover.
- Add popcorn chicken to beaten egg to cover then transfer to quinoa.
- Roll popcorn chicken in quinoa and place on prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked and quinoa crust is crispy.
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 bananas
- Preheat oven to 120°C or 100°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with paper and set aside.
- Juice lemons and pour juice into a bowl.
- Slice bananas into even pieces.
- Dip the banana into the lemon juice and place onto the baking tray.
- Cook banana chips for 3 hours, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- Allow to cool, and then store in an air-tight container.
- 1kg boneless fresh white fish, (I used gummy flake, alternatives include; cod, snapper, haddock etc)
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup whoelgrain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Slice the fish into 20 bites – about 2cm x 3cm. Place the flour in a bowl. Break eggs into another bowl and whisk to combine. Combine the crumbs and lemon rind in a third bowl. Place a fish finger in the flour bowl and cover well, dust off any excess. Dip the flour-coated fish bites in egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat for remaining fish bites.
- Cover the base of a large frypan with oil and heat over high heat. Cook fish bites for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown. I usually cook two batches. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
- Home made pizzas and mini burgers are a great way to get the kids involved. They can create whatever they like
- It can be difficult to get your kids to eat their veggies at the best of times, these recipes Hidden veggies recipe ideas will have the kids eating them without even knowing
- Smoothies are great way of getting fussy eaters to have their fruit. Checkout these tasty Dairy free smoothies
- Snack time need to be quick and easy. Using dips can be great for the kids to have with their fruit or sliced vegies. Try these healthy delicious dips