Stress is a tricky sticky symptom of modern day life, it can trigger inflammation internally leading to headaches, bloating, nausea, constipation, diarrhea and more. The gut brain axis discussed here, is one way that stress can affect the body AND body.
Here are a few simple tips for managing stress…
- Identify early warning signs in the body such as tension, mood changes or headaches
- Eat nutrient-dense unprocessed foods every day
- Support the adrenal and immune system with a high-quality adrenal formulation (see Ruth in clinic for more information)
- Address any nutrient deficiencies with food and supplementation
- Ensure adequate heating and appropriate clothing in winter
- Exercise regularly
- Get adequate sleep every night (7 hours or more!)
- Ensure proper hydration by drinking clean water throughout the day
- Establish regular routines for daily activities
- Practise relaxation with calming activities such as meditation, yoga, progressive muscle relaxation, music, reading, dancing etc.
- Limit stimulants such as alcohol, refined sugar, and caffeine
- Notice ‘self talk’ that may not be helpful or beneficial
- Spend time with people whoa re caring and supportive.