WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!
or is it more that
WE ARE WHAT’S in THE FOOD WE EAT!
Look at the way our eating habits have changed in just a few decades.
|30+ years ago||Today|
Higher omega 3 than omega 6
High fruit and vegetables
Soured dairy products
|High refined sugar
High omega 6, low to no omega 3
High fruit, low to no vegetables
Today even though there is so much talk about healthy eating, for most people this simply means limiting the amount of junk food we eat. Yet there is a bit more to it than that. Eating the way Grandma or even our parents ate is a better way to start, because the amount of processed foods available was significantly less. Anyone over 40yrs old can probably remember eating chocolate éclairs and pies without worrying about their weight. Why? Because the ingredients were few and basic and our bodies recognised them as food and used them appropriately.
Over the last 25 years additives have been increasingly added into even our basic healthy foods such as bread, yoghurt, juice, muesli bars etc. The average child’s lunchbox could contain 84 additives and that’s when it contains ‘healthy’ products such as a ham and salad sandwich, yoghurt, cheese stick and so on.
It’s no surprise to me that the dramatic increase in the use of food additives has also led to an increase in the following symptoms for many of us, because these are all effects that food additives have:
- irritability, restlessness, difficulty falling asleep
- mood swings, anxiety, depression, panic attacks
- inattention, difficulty concentrating or debilitating fatigue
- speech delay, learning difficulties
- eczema, hives and other itchy skin rashes; swollen lips
- reflux, colic, stomach aches, bloating, and other irritable bowel symptoms including constipation and/or diarrhoea, bedwetting
- headaches or migraines
- sinusitis, stuffy or runny nose, constant throat clearing, cough or asthma
- joint pain, arthritis, heart palpitations, racing heartbeat
Reactions to food additives are related to dose so the more you eat, the more likely you are to be affected, whether child or adult.
To learn more, you can book an Additive Alert talk for your community group or school, or organize a Supermarket Tour for yourself and a couple of friends. My website contains more details for you or call me for more information.